Saturday 13 October 2012

The Voice - Consumer's Voice

Dear Consumer’s Voice #1

I took my laundry for wash on the 22 Sept and was informed by the assistant that I should come for them the next day, only to get there and find another assistant who instead of giving me the clothes asked me to come nearer to the 2 laundry baskets. One had pink stained clothes and the other one had clothes not washed at all. I didn't loose it then since I assumed we all sometimes make mistakes. They gave me an assurance that they will be rewashed with a stain remover detergent. When I came for them about three days later some were still stained pink. Again I held my temper and patience but insisted that I be compensated for the loss of the two garments.

What makes me lose patience is that I have been promised a cheque in compensation for the value of the two items but I don’t hear from the laundromat unless I call to enquire and only to be told of excuses of the boss's absentia and that upon his presence in office I will be contacted. I never receive any calls and it makes me wonder what kind of service and remorse it is! Please help.


I think you’ve been remarkably patient. You understood that, as you say, “we all sometimes make mistakes” and you gave them the chance to remedy the problem. The good news is that they’ve promised to compensate you. They seem to understand that they have an obligation to do so. I suggest that you write them a letter giving them another 7 days, either to give you back your clothes in good condition or a payment for their value. You should mention that Section 15 (1) (a) of the Consumer Protection Regulations requires them to deliver services “with reasonable care and skill”.

In your letter you should make it clear that you’ve consulted us and that if they fail to respond suitably you’ll be seeking the help of the Small Claim Court.

Please let me know how they react?

Dear Consumer’s Voice #2

I went to check my balance at a local bank and was surprised to find out there was a debit order that I did not know about. P3000 was debited from my account and I did not authorise it. I never made any debit order and I made it clear to them. The bank said I should find out for myself where the money went. I don't even know how to trace it. They gave me the account number it was debited to but I don't know which bank that account belongs to. They said maybe its a policy but I told them I haven't signed any policy.

I really need your help!


If this is correct then your bank are deeply silly. In these circumstances it is ENTIRELY the responsibility of the bank to discover what’s going on. You have, I hope, made it clear to them that this is a suspicious, perhaps even criminal transaction and they should be running around furiously trying to find out what’s gone wrong. Saying that it’s your job to do all the detective work is absurd.

I’ve sent your problem through to the bank concerned and asked them to investigate urgently. You should do the same and you have a right to expect a daily update from them on progress. I know that some banks charge customers for this sort of investigation if it turns out in the end that it WAS the customer that authorized it but however this ends up you have a right to an investigation and a solution.

The important lesson from this is for all customers to regularly check their bank balances. These days with internet and cellphone banking and ATMs everywhere it should be fairly easy.

Let me know what you from them!

Phishing warning

We’ve received a number of emails entitled “Corporate eFax message - 2 pages” and I’ve heard from other people who’ve received exactly the same thing. The message suggests that you’ve received “a 2 pages fax” and you should click on a link to view it.

Please don’t. The links in the emails are nothing to do with faxes. They’re the beginning of some suspicious. It could be a “phishing” attack that will attempt to persuade you to give away passwords or a source of computer viruses and malware. Either way you’ll be exposing yourself to danger. Don’t click on links in email from people you don’t know. And invest in protection for your computer.

No comments: